In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Swan's Island: Six miles east of ordinary

The lives and stories of a unique community

Old buildings

This slideshow contains 7 items
1
Ponciana Hotel, Swan's Island, 1908

Ponciana Hotel, Swan's Island, 1908

Item 73416 info
Swan's Island Educational Society

View of the Ponciana Hotel in Atlantic, Swan's Island. Owned by Edith Staples and razed about 1958.


2
Horace Stanley house, Swan's Island, ca. 1955

Horace Stanley house, Swan's Island, ca. 1955

Item 73419 info
Swan's Island Educational Society

The Horace Stanley house, Swan's Island.

In the foreground we see Ben, the bull that belonged to Herman Staples. Probably Wesley Staples, their son is one of the boys in the back.

They are in front of what was at the time Maud and Dellie Bridges home, that now (2012) belongs to Brad and Betty Ames.


3
Stinson family, Swan's Island, 1904

Stinson family, Swan's Island, 1904

Item 67584 info
Swan's Island Educational Society

Sam and Josie Stinson and their family are sitting on their front porch on Swan's Island, 1904. Josie is sitting on the barrel, Gladys Stinson Hall is standing next to her, Sam Stinson is seated and beside him is Lizzie Stinson Smith.

Daughter Ruby Stinson Holmes is standing and beside her is Ruby and Will’s daughter Luella Holmes Savage. Will Holmes is standing on the steps.

The house is located at 257 Harbor Rd.


4
Alden Joyce house, Swan's Island, ca. 1950

Alden Joyce house, Swan's Island, ca. 1950

Item 73420 info
Swan's Island Educational Society

Alden Joyce's house with the old Swan's Island Telephone building on the right (now owned by the Hitchcock family).

This house was once Lester and Helen Stanley’s house and then was bought by Bud and Melita Staples. In 2006 it was sold to Lester and Helen’s grandson, Lester Stanley.

The house is located at 8 Mackerel Cove Road. Notice the huge wood pile by the shed attached to the house.

Also the barn that is located across the driveway which was known as Shore Road. There is a weir in the cove that is visible too. Across the water is Roderick’s Head.


5
Barter's Wharf, Swan's Island, ca. 1940

Barter's Wharf, Swan's Island, ca. 1940

Item 73422 info
Swan's Island Educational Society

This is the place now known as the Swan’s Island Fishermen’s Coop. AKA Barter’s Wharf, Morse’s Wharf and Bill Sprague’s Wharf over the years.

At the time this picture was taken there was no electricity so it was pre-1950. Notice that there are no gas pumps on the wharf by the little building.

The dark building with one window on the left was the office where they sold various small boat related items and there was a place for the bookkeeper.

For many years Margaret Thomas worked as a bookkeeper there before the new office was built in the early 1980’s. On the right of the wharf is Roy Stanley’s boat, the Grace ’n Lunette.


6
Johnson's Island, Swan's Island, ca. 1950

Johnson's Island, Swan's Island, ca. 1950

Item 73423 info
Swan's Island Educational Society

Johnson's or Potato Island with Harry Johnson's boat yard and the Patch Medicinal Oil factory where cod liver oil was pressed.


7
Otter Pond Cottage, Swan's Island, 1949

Otter Pond Cottage, Swan's Island, 1949

Item 73424 info
Swan's Island Educational Society

The Otter Pond Cottage was built for Arthur Livingston in 1928.


This slideshow contains 7 items